An intricately detailed Northwest Coast Thunderbird Wood Carving by George Manson in 1996. A member of the TFN people of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Manson is a well respected name in the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations community. George has his artwork in numerous private collections. art galleries and museums. His lines are deep. His design covers the entire surface area. Excellent artwork from a four decade veteran of wood carving.
Dimensions are 12″ x 4″ x 1.5″
Condition is great.
Northwest Coast Thunderbird Wood Carving Symbolism
- most powerful of all spirits
- transform into human form
- lightning snakes are hidden under the wings
- shoots lightning bolts out the eyes
- carries a killer whale with the talons alone
- distinguished by two horns
- helps the people in times of food shortages
- sits atop totem poles with wings spread